Robert Downey, Jr Net Worth 2020, Biography, Career, Marital Life and Awards
Robert Downey, Jr Net Worth 2020 – Robert Downey Jr., son of the avid filmmaker Robert Downey, Sr., is an American actor famous for his brilliant acting in ‘Chaplin’, quirky version of ‘Tony Stark’ in ‘Iron Man’ and decades of living under the shadow of drug abuse and breaching of law.
Downey was involved in professional acting and drug consumption from a very young age, owing to his highly creative and addicted father.
Biography of Robert Downey, Jr
Robert Downey Jr. was born on April 4, 1965, in the family of the director, actor, and producer Robert Downey.
The mother of the future celebrity is an actress Elsie Ford. Downey Sr. is of Irish and Russian-Jewish ancestry, and the actor’s mother is of Scottish and German ancestry.
Already in his early childhood, Robert was engaged in acting. The boy participated in his father’s projects.
His acting career began when Robert was 5 years old. He played a sick puppy in the film “Pound”, released in 1970.
At the age of 7, the actor played in “Greaser’s Palace”, and at 10, he was engaged in classical ballet in England.
And that was a part of his education. In youth, Robert Downey Jr. studied in New York at the Stagedoor Manor Performing Arts Training Center.
In 1978, his parents divorced. Robert moved with his father to California but soon realizes that to continue his acting career he should go to New York.
- From 1983-1986, Downey did an off-Broadway musical ‘American Passion (1983)’ and was cast to be a part of ‘Saturday Night Live’ (1985)’. He also did ‘Turf Turf (1985)’, John Hughes’s sci-fi comedy ‘Weird Science (1985)’ and ‘Pretty in Pink (1986)’.
- Downey did his first lead role in ‘The Pick-up Artist’ in 1987 and did ‘Less Than Zero’ in the same year, in which he played a drug-addicted rich young boy. He was started to be recognized as a member of ‘Brat Pack’.
- In 1989, Downey did a romantic comedy called ‘Chances Are’, starring along with Cybill Shepherd, Ryan O’Neal, and Mary Stuart Masterson. It was followed by ‘Air America (1990)’, in which he starred with Mel Gibson and ‘Soapdish (1991)’with Sally Field.
- Downey did the most famous role of his lifetime in Richard Attenborough’s ‘Chaplin’ in 1992. He played the role of ‘Charlie Chaplin’ in the movie and prepared extensively for his role and won an Oscar nomination and a BAFTA Award for it.
- From 1993-1999, he did commercial movies like: ‘Heart and Souls (1993)’, ‘Shortcuts (1993)’, ‘Only You (1994)’, ‘Natural Born Killers (1994)’, ‘Restoration (1995)’, ‘Richard III (1995)’, ‘Two Girls and a Guy (1998)’ and ‘Black and White (1999)’.
- Downey did a psychological thriller in 1999 called ‘In Dreams’, in which he starred with Annette Bening. It was his last movie that he completed before going to the California Substance Abuse Treatment Facility and State Prison to serve his drug charges.
- In 2000, after his release, he joined the cast of an American legal comedy-drama television series called ‘Ally McBeal’. He was nominated for an Emmy Award and won a Golden Globe in the category of the Best Supporting Actor in a mini-series.
Robert met Sarah Jessica Parker in 1984 on the set of the film “Firstborn.”
The American press followed the relationship between the two young and hopeful actors. However, Sarah Jessica was mentioned as a friend of the famous actor.
The woman loved Robert too much to envy. The only significant problem for the continuation of their relations was drugs.
The girl asked Downey to give up drugs but the actor did not listen to her.
At the age of 8, Robert found out what marijuana is, because he grew up in a rather bohemian environment. After 7 years of relations, Robert Downey Jr. and Sarah Jessica Parker broke up.
Since 1992, the actor was married to Deborah Falconer. They have a common son Indio, who was born in 1993. But the couple broke up because of drugs.
Downey is the winner of a Golden Globe Award and Screen Guild Award for ‘Ally McBeal (2001)’, BAFTA Award for ‘Chaplin (1992)’, Golden Globe Award for ‘Shorcuts (1994)’ and ‘Sherlock Holmes (2009)’ and 2 People’s Choice Awards for ‘The Avengers (2013)’.
Robert Downey, Jr Net Worth
Robert Downey, Jr is a New York-born actor and producer who has a net worth of $300 million.