Lavar Ball Net Worth 2020, Biography, Career, and Marriage
Lavar Ball Net Worth 2020 – LaVar Christopher Ball is an American businessman, media personnel and personal trainer. He rose to the limelight through his famous basketballer sons, Lonzo, Liagelo and Lamelo Ball.
LaVar Ball is the founder of the Junior Basketball Association and the CEO of Big Baller Brand, a sports apparel company.
Biography of Lavar Ball
LaVar Ball was born on October 23, 1967, and has four brothers named LaFrance, LaValle, LaRenzo, and Lashon.
He was actively involved in high school American football and basketball in Canoga Park and also in college at the West Los Angeles College, Washington State, and California State University.
In his younger days, Ball was a prominent football quarterback and a forward in the basketball team at the Canoga Park High School.
He broke the school record in a season when he grabbed a total of 316 rebounds.
Ball started his basketball college career in West Los Angeles College where he recorded 33 points and 18 rebounds against Porterville College; he later transferred to Washington State and again to California State Los Angeles playing along with three of his brothers.
After college, Ball made a return to football and signed with the New York Jets of the National Football League (NFL) on May 1, 1994, as a defensive end.
Ball was sent to the London Monarchs of the World League of American Football where he recorded 28 yards in kick returns.
He quit playing football after he sustained a career-ending injury. For his academics, Ball studied criminal justice while he was in college.
- In 2016, Ball laid the foundation of ‘Big Baller Brand,’ a sports apparel company, which began quite well. The company made a good profit in the first few months of being launched. He promoted his company on national TV and compared it with ‘Puma’ and ‘Adidas,’ the industry moguls.
- His son Lonzo was associated with the ‘University of California, Los Angeles’ (UCLA), playing basketball at the professional level, and when he started promoting his father’s brand, it raised quite a few eyebrows. It was said that Lonzo had broken the ‘NCAA’ rules by promoting his father’s brand. George Raveling, the global sports marketing director of ‘Nike,’ stated that Ball was “the worst thing to happen to basketball in the last hundred years.” Ball responded by saying that his company would compete with ‘Nike,’ and that was the genesis of a string of derogatory comments.
- In May 2017, ‘Big Baller’ launched its first sports shoes, priced at US$ 495, which attracted a lot of attention. Several major American athletes, such as Shaquille O’Neil, criticized the steeply-priced shoes while many others came in support. As a response, Ball said that people who could not afford the sneakers were not true “Ballers.” This controversy also attracted a lot of attention from various media outlets. ‘The Washington Post’ stated that the strategy that Ball had employed was smart yet shameless.
- In September 2017, Ball stirred a major controversy when he announced the launch of a signature shoe for his youngest son, LaMelo Ball. This venture too had violated the ‘NCAA’ rules, and following this, Ball made an open statement that the shoe would be released whether or not the ‘NCAA’ agrees with him.
- When two of his sons, LaMelo and LiAngelo, started playing for a Lithuanian basketball team named ‘Vytautas Prienai–Birštonas,’ Ball funded the team and organized a small tournament to promote his sons. It was live-streamed on ‘Facebook’ and was deemed by media as a shameless promotional antic.
- Ball announced his plans to form the ‘JBA’ in December 2017. He has great plans for the future of the league, but it has been reported that it is just another way to bring ‘Big Baller’ more publicity.
LaVar met his wife Tina Catherine Slatinsky in college. Tina was born 11 December 1967 in Miami, Florida to Robert and Catherine Slatinsky.
She attended Alta Loma High School and California State University, Los Angeles where she met her future husband.
Like Ball, Tina was highly involved in basketball both in college and high school. She played for the California State Los Angeles Golden Eagle Women’s basketball team.
The two got married in 1996 and are blessed with three sons Lonzo, LiAngelo, and LaMelo.
Tina got a job in high school as a physical education teacher after they both settled down and she suffered a massive stroke in February in 2017 which meant she was hospitalized for some months; however, she is slowly recovering and has gotten back to her feet.
Lavar Ball Net Worth
Ball launched his sports apparel company in 2016 and its first shoes retailed around $495. All his sons have signature shoes and have advertised for the Big Baller Brand.
LaVar Ball is estimated to be worth $4 million.
In a move that would surely boost the family income, Deadline Hollywood reported that Facebook would be backing a reality show focused on the Ball family. The show will be called Ball In The Family