John Clayton Mayer Net Worth 2020, Biography, Career, Personal Life, and Awards.
John Clayton Mayer Net Worth 2020 – John Clayton Mayer is an American singer-songwriter, guitarist, and producer. Famous for his special skills in guitar and his artistic pursuit for classy pop-rock songs, he has earned major chart success in the US and other countries.
Known for both his solo career and his career with the ‘John Mayer Trio’ group, the knowledgeable musician has millions of fans across the globe.
Biography of John Clayton Mayer
John Clayton Mayer was born on October 16, 1977, in Bridgeport, Connecticut. He grew up in Fairfield. His father Richard was a high school principal, and his mother Margaret Mayer was a middle school English teacher. He has two brothers.
For his junior year, he attended the Center for Global Studies at Brien McMahon High School in Norwalk.
He first became fascinated with guitar after watching Michael J. Fox’s guitar performance in a movie, and he fell in love with blues music after he heard a Stevie Ray Vaughan cassette.
When he was 13, his father rented a guitar for him. He started taking lessons and got so engrossed in it that his concerned parents took him to a psychiatrist, who declared him healthy. Later he said that his parents’ troubled marriage often forced him to “disappear in his own world.”
While he was in high school, he started playing guitar at bars and other venues. He also joined a band called Villanova Junction and played with Tim Procaccini, Rich Wolf, and Joe Beleznay.
When he was 17, he was diagnosed with cardiac dysrhythmia and was hospitalized. He said that during that period, he realized that he had a songwriter in him too. He also suffered from panic attacks and is still on anti-anxiety medication.
- John Mayer released his debut EP, ‘Inside Wants Out’ on September 24, 1999. The album was re-released by Columbia Records in 2002. Some of the songs, such as ‘Back to You’, ‘My Stupid Mouth’, and ‘No Such Thing’ was again recorded for his debut album ‘Room for Squares’.
- His debut studio album ‘Room for Squares’ was released on June 5, 2001. The album peaked at No. 8 on US Billboard 200 chart. It is his best-selling album to date, having sold over 4,484,000 copies in the US.
- His fifth studio album, ‘Born and Raised’ was released on May 22, 2012. Its first single, ‘Shadow Days’ was released on Mayer’s blog before the release of the album. The second single, ‘Queen of California’ was released on Hot AC radio on August 13, 2012, and its official video was released on July 30, 2012.
- On April 15, 2014, Mayer covered ‘XO’ at a concert in Australia. His version features acoustic stripped-down rendition with guitar, piano, and harmonica. MTV praised his version for simplicity. It debuted at No. 90 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart, and sold 46,000 copies.
- Columbia and Sony Music released his seventh studio album ‘The Search for Everything’ on April 14, 2017.
- John Mayer also performed with ‘Dead & Company’ a band consisting of Bob Weir, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Oteil Burbridge, and Jeff Chimenti. The band started a tour on May 27, 2017, which ended on July 1. The tour was well received.
John Mayer has dated actress Jennifer Love Hewitt, singer Jessica Simpson, singer Taylor Swift, and actress Minka Kelly among other prominent show biz personalities.
In 2002, he formed an NGO, ‘Back to You’ Fund, that fundraises for healthcare, education, arts, and talent development.
He supports campaigns creating awareness about climate change and has performed a number of times for charity. He also supports the Elton John AIDS Foundation.
Despite resolving to avoid drugs early in his career, he admitted in 2006 that he used marijuana. He was also involved in a serious controversy for making “racist” comments in an interview, for which he later apologized.
He is an avid collector of watches. In March 2014, he sued to watch dealer Robert Maron for $656,000 saying that seven of the watches he bought from Maron contained counterfeit parts. However, the next year Mayer released a statement saying that the dealer never sold him any counterfeit watch.
John Mayer has won seven Grammy Awards from 19 nominations. He collected a Grammy Award for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance for his single ‘Your Body Is a Wonderland’ from the album ‘Room for Squares’ in 2003.
The ‘Continuum’ album also earned him a Grammy Award for Best Pop Vocal Album. He received two Grammy Awards for ‘Daughters’ in the categories Song of the Year and Best Male Pop Vocal Performance in 2005.
Some of the other awards he has received are MTV Video Music Awards, ASCAP Award, American Music Award, and many others.