Jim Carrey Net Worth 2020, Biography, Career, and Awards.
Jim Carrey Net Worth 2020 – If Jim Carrey, the famous comic actor, had taken a beating after being rejected as a performer the first few times, we would not have had great movies like ‘Bruce Almighty’ and ‘The Truman Show’.
Faced with dire poverty in his childhood, this brilliant entertainer was unable to complete school and was forced to fend for his family.
His only form of practice was at home when he would try cheering up his mother in a time of economic calamity.
Biography of Jim Carrey
James Eugene Carrey, popularly called Jim, was born to Percy and Kathleen, on January 17, 1962, in the town of Newmarket, Canada.
He was the youngest of four siblings, the others being Rita, John, and Patricia. Percy, of Canadian-French descent, was a Catholic who was employed as an accountant.
James studied at the ‘Blessed Trinity Catholic School‘, North York, for a brief period of time, before joining the ‘Agincourt Collegiate Institute’.
Here too, the young boy studied for only a year, and then went to ‘Northview Heights Secondary School’.
Due to the financial crisis faced by the family, he was forced to drop out, and help his parents earn a living.
When the family moved to Burlington, Carrey pursued his education from the ‘Aldershot High School’.
During this time, the teenager showed an interest in performing stand-up comedy acts, often taking time out to entertain his classmates.
- In 1998, he ventured into a more serious genre, starring in the movie, ‘The Truman Show’. This satire brought critical acclaim to this splendid actor, who finally had proved his versatility. He ended up winning the ‘Golden Globe Award’ in the ‘Best Actor in a Motion Picture Drama’ category.
- His next movie, ‘Man on the Moon’, released in 1999, was also a huge critical success. His portrayal of Andy Kaufman brought home his second and successive ‘Golden Globe’ for ‘Best Actor’.
- In 2000, Carrey acted in the movie, ‘Me, Myself & Irene’, directed by Farrelly Brothers, who had made the actor’s earlier hit, ‘Dumb and Dumber’. He was also cast in the movie, ‘How the Grinch Stole Christmas’, which earned him a ‘Golden Globe’ nomination for the fifth time.
- Three years later, Jim appeared in the movie ‘Bruce Almighty’, alongside Morgan Freeman and Jennifer Aniston. Though the movie was not much appreciated by critics, it went on to gross millions at the box-office.
- In 2004, this accomplished actor surprised critics and audiences once again with the romantic sci-fi drama, ‘Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind’, where he was cast opposite Kate Winslet.
- The same year he also appeared in the dark comedy, ‘Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events’, adapted from a children’s book has the same title.
- From 2005-07, Carrey starred in several films, like ‘Fun with Dick and Jane’, a remake of an older movie of the same name, and ‘The Number 23’, both of which received mixed reviews.
- In 2008, for the first time, this brilliant actor lent his voice to an animated movie, for the character of an elephant in ‘Dr. Seuss’ Horton Hears a Who!’. He also featured along with fellow actors, Bradley Cooper and Zooey Deschanel, in the film, ‘Yes Man’.
- In 2009, the actor was cast in the famous movie, ‘I Love You Phillip Morris’, along with Scottish star, Ewan McGregor, receiving positive reviews about his comic timing. The same year, he lent voices to the characters of Ebenezer Scrooge, as well as the three ghosts in the film, ‘Christmas Carol’.
- During 2011-13, he has starred in the movies, ‘Mr. Popper’s Penguins’, ‘Kick-Ass 2’, ‘Dumb and Dumber To’, and ‘Burt Wonderstone’. Around the same time, he wrote and published the children’s book, ‘How Roland Rolls’.
This famous actor has received several ‘Golden Globe’ nominations for his brilliant acts in comedy movies.
However, it was during 1998-99, when he tried dabbling in serious roles, that he won two ‘Golden Globe’ awards, for the movies, ‘The Truman Show’, and ‘Man on the Moon’.
In 2004, Jim was initiated into the ‘Canadian Walk of Fame’, for his contribution to the field of cinema.
The ‘Maharishi University of Management’ in Iowa conferred upon this great actor, an honorary doctorate in 2014.
Jim Carrey Net Worth
Holding the record of earning the highest salary amongst all comic actors, for his role in ‘The Cable Guy’, this famous actor has a net worth of approximately $150 million.