George R. R. Martin Net Worth 2020, Biography, Career, and Awards
George R. R. Martin Net Worth 2020– George R. R. Martin is an American novelist and short-story writer best known for his epic fantasy novel series, ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’, which has been adapted into the hugely successful HBO series, ‘Game of Thrones‘.
Martin, who primarily writes in the fantasy, horror, and science fiction genres, has been called “the American Tolkien” by ‘Time’ journalist Lev Grossman and was included in the magazine’s annual list of the 100 most influential people in the world once.
Biography of George R.R. Martin
- George R. R. Martin was born as George Raymond Martin on September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey, and adopted the confirmation name Richard when he was thirteen. He is the eldest child of his parents, longshoreman Raymond Collins Martin and Margaret Brady Martin, and has two sisters named Darleen and Janet.
- In 1953, his family moved from his great grandmother’s house on Broadway to a federal housing project near the Bayonne docks where he attended grade school. Bored of his limited world of home and school, he began reading books to know about the outside world, and also often wrote monster stories which he sold to other children in the neighborhood.
- He first enrolled into Mary Jane Donohoe School, but later moved to Marist High School, a Catholic boy’s school, where he played on the chess team and contributed to the school’s newspaper for several years.
- During this time, he became interested in Marvel comic-book superheroes and began writing fan-fiction for comic fanzines, eventually winning the ‘Alley Award’ for best fan-fiction for the superhero story ‘Powerman vs. The Blue Barrier’.
- Following Bobby Fischer’s world chess championship win in 1972, George R. R. Martin used his chess skills to bag a job as a tournament director for the Continental Chess Association. He ran chess tournaments in the weekends and worked as a writer five days a week from 1973 to 1976, till the chess craze died down.
- He met English professor George Guthridge in mid-1970 and with his help, took a job as an instructor for English and journalism at Clarke College in Dubuque, Iowa. He worked as a teacher at the college from 1976 to 1978 and later became a ‘Writer In Residence’ there.
He has won many awards including Hugo Awards, Nebula Awards, Locus Awards, and a World Fantasy Award for Life Achievement. Martin won Primetime Emmy Awards for Outstanding Drama Series for Game of Thrones as co-executive producer in 2015 and 2016.
George R.R. Martin net worth and salary: George R.R. Martin is an American author and television producer who has a net worth of $65 million.
Follow him on Instagram @George R.R. Martin
Follow him on Twitter @George R.R. Martin