Denzel Washington Net Worth 2020, Biography, Education, and Career.
Denzel Washington Net Worth 2020 – Denzel Washington is an Academy award-winning actor, director, and producer best known for his roles in ‘Glory’, ‘Malcolm X’, and ‘The Hurricane’.
As an actor, he is known for his penchant for taking on challenging roles and portraying them to perfection.
Growing up in a predominantly African-American suburb, young Denzel had witnessed many of his friends take up the path of drugs, crime, and violence.
Denzel Washington was born to Denzel Hayes Washington Sr., a Pentecostal minister, and Lennis, a beautician. He has two siblings.
He attended Pennington-Grimes Elementary School until 1968. His parents divorced when he was 14 and he began to get involved in street violence.
In order to instill some discipline in him, his mother sent him to Oakland Military Academy.
He went to Fordham University upon graduating from high school and earned a B.A. in Drama and Journalism in 1977.
He realized his love for acting after working as a creative arts director at a summer camp.
He attended American Conservatory Theatre, San Francisco, for one year before returning to New York.
- After appearing in some television commercials and programs, he made his feature film debut in 1981 with the comedy film ‘Carbon Copy’. It was followed by a 1982 television movie, ‘License to Kill’.
- Over the decade he appeared in many films like ‘A Soldier’s Story’ (1984), ‘Power’ (1986), and ‘The Mighty Quinn’ (1989).
- His first big success came in 1989 with the release of the drama war film ’Glory’ in which he played Private Silas Trip. He won many awards for this role.
- He played the title role in ‘Malcolm X’ (1992), a biographical motion picture directed by Spike Lee. He received an Academy Award nomination for his portrayal of the Muslim African-American human rights activist.
- The decade of 1990 was a very productive period for the talented actor. He played the lawyer Joe Miller in the 1993 drama film ‘Philadelphia’ which was one of the first Hollywood movies to deal with issues like homosexuality, AIDS, and homophobia.
- In 1995, he starred as Lieutenant Commander Ron Hunter in ‘Crimson Tide’. The movie was set in post-Soviet Russia during a period of political turmoil. It received positive reviews from critics.
- His most successful movie of the 1990s was ‘The Hurricane’ (1999) in which he played Rubin Carter, a boxer arrested for triple homicide. Denzel’s performance was highly appreciated and he won many awards.
- One of his most memorable performances was as Detective Alonzo Harris in the 2001 crime drama, ‘Training Day’. He played an antagonist in this movie—a role that earned him critical appreciation and numerous awards.
- His other memorable movies of the 2000s include: ‘Antwone Fisher’ (2002), ‘Inside Man’ (2006), and ‘The Great Debaters’ (2007).
- One of his most recent films, ‘Flight’ (2012), revolves around the story of a complicated character, William Whitaker, who is an airline pilot struggling with alcoholism. Denzel was nominated for an Academy Award for this role.
Denzel Washington Net Worth
Denzel Washington is an American actor, screenwriter, producer, and director who has a net worth of $220 million.