Bill Cosby Net Worth 2020, Biography, Career, and Marital Life.
Cosby started his career as a stand-up comedian and gradually moved to TV and movies. As a child, Cosby was more interested in comedy than in studies.
He dropped out of high school to join the ‘US Navy.’ Soon, Cosby became aware of his ability to make people laugh. He joined a night club as a stand-up comedian. The TV show ‘I Spy’ was his first acting assignment.
Bill Cosby Net Worth
Bill Cosby is an American comedian, television star and producer who has a net worth of $400 million.
Biography of Bill Cosby
Bill Cosby was born William Henry Cosby Jr., on July 12, 1937, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. His father, William Henry Cosby Sr., was a mess steward in the ‘US Navy,’ and his mother, Anna Pearl, worked as a maid. Cosby had three younger brothers.
Being the eldest, Cosby took care of the needs of his siblings. One of his brothers, James, died at the age of 8.
Cosby attended several schools in his early years. He was the baseball captain at the ‘Mary Channing Wister Public School’ in Philadelphia. Later, he attended the ‘Fitzsimons Junior High School’ and the ‘Central High School.’
He was active in sports and drama in both the schools. While in school, Cosby was also interested in comedy.
He was known as the “class clown.” He also did part-time jobs to support his family. Cosby failed to clear tenth grade at the ‘Germantown High School’ and subsequently quit the school.
In 1956, Cosby joined the ‘US Navy’ and served as a hospital corpsman for several years. While in the navy, Cosby completed a correspondence course to earn a high-school equivalency diploma.
In 1961, he received a track and field scholarship to attend ‘Temple University.’ He left the ‘US Navy’ to pursue his university studies. At ‘Temple University,’ Cosby played for the college football team.
- While attending ‘Temple University,’ Cosby worked as a bartender in a club. He soon realized that he had the ability to make people laugh. He quit the university, to pursue a career in comedy. Cosby started his career as a stand-up comedian in several clubs in Philadelphia. In 1961, Cosby joined the ‘The Gaslight Cafe’ in New York City. Cosby became popular and started doing shows in several cities.
- In 1967, Cosby showcased his talent in music by releasing the musical comedy album ‘Silver Throat: Bill Cosby Sings.’ In 1969, Cosby starred in the comedy series ‘The Bill Cosby Show,’ which was aired for two seasons on ‘NBC.’ The show featured Cosby as ‘Chet Kincaid,’ a physical education teacher in a school. It was a light-hearted comedy and was moderately successful. The show had many African–American performers. After the show went off the air, Cosby continued his formal education and began his graduate education at the ‘University of Massachusetts.’
- In 1972, Cosby created, produced, and hosted the animation series ‘Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids.’ It was based on Cosby’s experiences as a child, and every episode had a lesson for children. Cosby lent his voice to several characters, including the protagonist, ‘Fat Albert.’ The show was highly popular among kids. It ran successfully from 1972 to 1979. The later versions of the show appeared as ‘The New Fat Albert Show’ and ‘The Adventures of Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids.’
- In 1984, Cosby was back on TV with the ‘NBC’ sitcom ‘The Cosby Show.’ It was the story of an upper-middle-class African–American family. Cosby was the co-producer of the show. The show became highly popular and ran successfully for eight seasons. The show featured Cosby as an obstetrician. The plot of the show was based on Cosby’s life.
- In 1996, Cosby started the ‘CBS’ sitcom ‘Cosby.’ It had Cosby playing a senior citizen desperate to find a new job. The show was aired from 1996 to 2000. In 1999, the animated TV series ‘Little Bill’ made its debut on ‘Nickelodeon.’ It was based on the book series ‘Little Bill,’ authored by Cosby. In 2013, Cosby made his TV stand-up debut, with the show ‘Bill Cosby: Far From Finished.’ It was aired on ‘Comedy Central.’
Cosby married TV producer Camille Hanks on January 25, 1964. They have five children. Cosby suffered a huge personal loss when his only son, Ennis, was murdered in 1997.
His daughter Ensa died of renal disease in 2018. Cosby has three grandchildren. He has homes in Shelburne and Cheltenham.
Bill Cosby might be one of the greatest standup comedians in the world, but that kind of reputation is slowly fading away, considering over 50 women have accused him of sexual assault. His net worth probably would reduce by 80% but the most important lesson here to learn is never exploited power and money to your advantage because someday the odds might be against you.